Google Maps testing new view switching controls
Saw a new type of view switching control appear when I opened up Google Maps a short while ago. This is probably one of Google’s numerous experiments that they run on their various web apps.
- There is one big icon that shows the current view.
- Clicking on it switches between Satellite and Map views.
- Hovering over it brings up two icons – Earth and Satellite/Map.
- Clicking on Earth toggles between Earth and Satellite views.
- A dropdown below the icon lists and allows selection of layers.
I found the icon controls to switch between Earth, Satellite and Map views confusing. The dropdown list to select layers is a nice improvement, but needs improvement: It disappears too quickly if I move the mouse out of the list area.